Winter Storm Warning
Statement as of 6:16 AM EDT on March 12, 2014
... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 11 am EDT
* locations... central Mohawk Valley... helderbergs... Schoharie
valley... Saratoga Glens Falls areas and southern Vermont.
* Hazard types... heavy snow... .sleet and freezing rain.
* Snow and sleet accumulations... 8 to 16 inches of snow with the
highest amounts across northern parts of these areas.
* Ice accumulations... up to around a tenth of an inch.
* Maximum snowfall rates... up to 2 inches per hour possible this
afternoon and evening.
* Timing... a mixture of rain and snow this morning will
transition to sleet... freezing rain and snow this afternoon. A
changeover to all snow is expected by late afternoon... except
across southern Vermont where that should occur early in the
evening. Snow... heavy at times... will then continue through
most of night.
* Impacts... snow covered roads and low visibility will make for
very dangerous travel.
* Winds... northeast winds increasing to 10 to 20 mph this
afternoon... shifting to the north by this evening. Winds will
increase to 15 to 25 mph and shift to the northwest tonight.
Gusts up to 35 mph are possible. Winds will be strongest in
the Saratoga Glens Falls areas this evening.
* Temperatures... early highs in the mid to upper 30s... falling
during the afternoon and reaching lows of zero degrees to 10
A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow...
sleet... and ice are expected or occurring. Strong winds are also
possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.
Nearby Radar Stations