Winter Storm Warning
Statement as of 4:46 PM EDT on March 11, 2014
... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 7 am Wednesday to
11 am EDT Thursday...
* locations... southern and western Adirondacks... including
southern Herkimer County.
* Hazard types... heavy snow. Snow could mix with some sleet and
freezing rain at times during the day Wednesday.
* Snow accumulations... 10 to 20 inches.
* Maximum snowfall rates... one to two inches per hour possible
Wednesday afternoon and night.
* Timing... snow will begin early in the day on Wednesday and
become heavy at times by afternoon. It will turn windy by
Wednesday evening with some blowing and drifting of the snow
* Impacts... snow covered roads and low visibility will make for
dangerous travel. The combination of a heavy wet snow along
with the brisk winds could result in isolated power outages.
* Winds... northeast winds increasing to 10 to 20 mph during the
day... then shifting to the northwest at night with gusts up to
35 mph possible.
* Temperatures... in the 20s to lower 30s Wednesday... falling to
around zero degrees late Wednesday night.
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather
conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow
are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an
emergency. If you must travel... keep an extra flashlight...
food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Nearby Radar Stations