...High wind watch in effect from Saturday afternoon through Saturday evening...
The National Weather Service in Albuquerque has issued a high wind watch...which is in effect from Saturday afternoon through Saturday evening.
* Location...central and south Central Highlands...south central mountains...eastern Lincoln and southwest Chaves counties.
* Winds...southwest 35 to 45 mph with occasional gusts to 60 mph.
* Timing...winds increasing Saturday afternoon and peaking early evening before decreasing back below warning criteria.
* Visibility...areas of blowing dust are likely with the potential for significant visibility limitations.
* Local impacts...drivers of vans...campers...trailers...and other high-profile vehicles should be prepared for these potentially dangerous high winds...especially on northwest to southeast oriented roads. Areas of blowing dust may be accompanied by significant reductions in visibility...making travel near- impossible. High winds can topple trees...blow weakened roofs off houses...and down power lines.
Remember...a high wind watch means conditions are favorable for a potentially damaging high wind event in and close to the watch area. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage. Monitor the latest forecasts at weather.Gov/abq...listen to NOAA Weather Radio or your favorite media outlet.