Upper Rio Grande Valley
Winter Weather Advisory
Statement as of 5:31 AM MST on December 07, 2013
... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 6 PM this evening to
4 PM MST Sunday...
The National Weather Service in Albuquerque has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory for snow and blowing snow... which is in effect from
6 PM this evening to 4 PM MST Sunday.
* Snow accumulations... 2 to 5 inches are generally expected with
the highest amounts favoring areas along the Continental Divide
in west central and northwest New Mexico as well as areas near
the Colorado state line near Farmington and Aztec.
* Timing... snow will expand in coverage this evening with the
heaviest snows expected late tonight into Sunday morning.
* Winds... westerly winds averaging 25 to 40 mph with gusts up to
55 mph are expected... especially across the highest terrain.
These winds combined with bitter cold temperatures will result
in dangerously cold wind chill readings at times along with
considerable blowing snow.
* Snow levels... temperatures will be cold enough for snow at all
* Local impacts... hazardous winter driving conditions can be
expected... along with reduced visibilities in snow and
considerable blowing snow. Wind chill values of 15 below to 15 above
zero will be common... which can cause frostbite to exposed skin
in an hour or less.
A Winter Weather Advisory for snow and blowing snow means that
visibilities will be restricted due to a combination of falling
and blowing snow.
Nearby Radar Stations