...Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 9 PM CST this evening...
* short term trends...widespread light snow will continue with strong winds this afternoon. An additional 1 to 3 inches of snow is possible through this evening with the heaviest totals over southeast Iowa.
* Storm total snow...accumulations of generally 8 to 12 inches. Some locations over central Iowa will receive between a foot to 15 inches of snow.
* Winds/visibility...winds gradually increasing and becoming northerly by afternoon. Gusts increasing to 35 to 40 over the entire area by early to mid afternoon. Winds will remain strong through early evening.
* Temperatures...temperatures will continue to fall through into the lower to mid teens by evening. Along with that wind chill values will drop to 5 to 10 below zero over the northern half of Iowa and just below zero over central and southern Iowa by this evening.
* Impacts...roads and travel will remain hazardous. Blowing and drifting snow will continue this afternoon. Visibilities will drop below one half mile with near whiteout conditions at times...especially in open and rural areas. The heavy wet nature of the snow has also coated trees over central and southern Iowa. Tree damage and localized power outages will be more likely this afternoon and early evening until the winds diminish after dark.
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are occurring. Significant amounts of snow have fallen making travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight...food...and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Although the heavy wet consistency of the snow has diminished... around six to nine inches of wet snow from overnight has compacted and settled. This will make removal and shoveling difficult... especially with the stronger winds and colder temperatures this afternoon and evening. The elderly and those with heart concerns should take frequent breaks...remove the snow in small amounts or seek assistance from others.