...Red flag warning in effect from 8 am to 11 PM PDT Wednesday for gusty winds and low humidity for northeastern California and far northwestern Nevada...
The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a red flag warning for gusty winds and low humidity...which is in effect from 8 am to 11 PM PDT Wednesday. The Fire Weather Watch is no longer in effect.
* Affected area...fire zone 270 Surprise Valley California... fire zone 271 western Lassen-eastern Plumas-eastern Sierra- eastern Nevada counties...fire zone 278 eastern Lassen County and fire zone 458 northern Washoe County.
* Winds...southwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Locally stronger gusts up to 40 mph possible.
* Humidity...10 to 15%.
* Impacts...the combination of gusty winds and low humidity will create critical fire weather conditions.
A red flag warning means weather conditions can cause fires to grow rapidly in size and intensity before first responders can contain them. Avoid doing outdoor activities that can create a spark near dry vegetation...such as yard work...target shooting... or campfires. Continue to check weather.Gov/Reno for updates and preparedness tips.
454 am PDT Tue Sep 23 2014
...Red flag warning remains in effect from 2 PM this afternoon to 8 PM PDT Wednesday for wind and low relative humidity for fire weather zones 214...221...268 and 269...
* affected area...fire weather zone 214 Burney Basin and northeast plateau in Shasta County including northwest Lassen nf north of Lassen np...fire weather zone 221 Stanislaus nf west of the Sierra crest...fire weather zone 268 northern Sierra including Lassen np and Plumas and Lassen nf/S west of the Sierra crest (west of Evans Peak-Grizzly Peak-beckworth peak) and fire weather zone 269 northern Sierra including the Tahoe and Eldorado nf/S west of the Sierra crest.
* Winds...southwest 12 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Local gusts up to 45 mph on highest mountain peaks.
* Relative humidity...as low as 15-25 percent.
* Impacts...the combination of gusty winds and low humidities on critically dry fuels will provide an environment for possible rapid fire spread.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now...or will shortly. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.
Interact with US via social media www.Facebook.Com/NWS.Sacramento www.Twitter.Com/nwssacramento